Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Eating Healthy

Just a short while ago I heard an author talk about a new book of his on the topic of healthy eating. He had some 5 rules on how to select food in the super market. 1) Buy nothing that has more than 5 ingredients. 2) Buy nothing that has an expiration date more than 5 days into the future. I cannot remember the other rules. I liked these rules. A back-to-basics, back-to-natural cooking approach. I am far from complying with these rules. Even my muesli has more than 5 ingredients and lasts for more than 5 days.

Especially rule 2 is in stark contrast to my action plan to prepare for peak oil. My action plan includes a stock pile of food to handle some food shortages. Enough food for several weeks, maybe a month. Of course on my list for such hoarding are exclusively items that have an expiration date of about 1 year into the future. So, on one hand peak oil will make us eat less healthy. Definitely violates the 5-day-expiration rule of this author. On the other hand though after the initial crisis peak oil will lead to local food production. We will eat more local and more simple foods. I am looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment